Bringur, Mosfellsdalur

The aim of the protection of a part of the Bringur grounds in Mosfellsdalur is to preserve the area for outdoor activities for the general public, nature viewing and education. The protection also covers unique natural and cultural remains.

The protection of the area was signed on April 20th 2014.

Where Are Bringur?

The country park is in the Mosfellsbær municipality. The boundaries of the protected area cover a part of the Bringur grounds. The boundaries of the country park are described thusly in the announcement on the country park Bringur in Mosfellsdalur:

The boundaries of the country park lie from the starting point on the northern bank of Köldukvísl, approx. 250 metres above Helgufoss (co-ordinate No. 22). From this point, they lie 330 metres to the north and follow the boundary line of the water protection area, east of the old Bringur farm fields and to a point that lies approx. 250 meters south of Nesjavallalínuvegur. Then the boundaries lie 380 meters to the north-west, to the beginning of the hiking trail that runs from the parking lot into the area. From there, the boundaries lie to the south-west 370 metres until they meet the lower boundaries of the farm field (co-ordinate No. 2). From there, they lie south to Köldukvísl 125 m and then along the middle of the river to the starting point.

Interesting Facts

The farm Bringur was established as a new homestead from the Mosfell vicarage in 1856. The farm was abandoned in 1966, but there are considerable remains of human habitation on the farm site and the field. Bringur farm is north of Köldukvísl, and from there is a panoramic view over Mosfellsdalur and all the way to the sea. Beyond the river, outside the country park, is Grímansfell, the highest mountain in Mosfellsbær, and just by the boundaries of the field is Helgufoss in Köldukvísl. West of the waterfall are Helguhvammur, the ruins of Helgusel and Helguhóll, also known as Hrafnaklettur. According to legend, a big Hidden People settlement is located there. The ruins of the sel testify to long-gone practices when livestock was kept in a sel (sheepcote) over summer. Legend has it that Helgusel is named after Helga, daughter of Bárður Snæfellsás, but another explanation of the name is based on the fact that the area was once owned by the church in Mosfell, and the original meaning of the name would therefore be “the holy sel”.

A short distance from the edge of the Bringur field are the remains of a public road, the so-called Bringnavegur, that was built in 1910. This road connected Mosfellsdalur and the old Þingvallavegur, which ran over Mosfellsheiði to Þingvellir.